Monday 31 October 2011

Halloween Thriller: Robin Fang Persie...

There are times in life when you just have to stop and take a moment to think about what has just happened. Today, now, is exactly this time for me. On Saturday, I ventured over to Stamford Bridge, courtesy of my personal banker and now good friend, Ryan Sparrowhawk.

Whilst it was my first time at The Bridge, I’ve been fortunate, or unfortunate depending on how you look at it, to have seen Arsenal play Chelsea numerous times including those painful Carling Cup ties and the defeat in the FA Cup Semi at Wembley back in 2009. Take it from me, it’s a long journey home from Cardiff when you’re on a train surrounded by Chelsea supporters.

I wrote in my previous blog that I would have settled for a draw and that I also thought this team was capable of getting all three points. Now, I’ve seen some games in my time, but this derby was simply extraordinary. With both teams demonstrating defensive weaknesses, there were eight goals scored in 90 minutes of madness and there could easily have been more.

With the likes of Vermaelen, Sagna & Wilshere missing, we named our strongest eleven available. I must admit that the absence of Didier Drogba from the Chelsea starting XI made me feel somewhat at ease although on the other hand, I was slightly worried that my continued praise for Torres would come back to bite me in the bum! Fortunately, El Nino went missing – rumours are that Larry Koscielny found him in his back pocket this morning. Speaking of whom, what an incredible player he’s turning out to be. People forget that last season was his first in England and that he had to get used to three different keepers and four different centre-back pairings. Some also forget his master-class display against Messi when we beat Barcelona at the Emirates. He is a fine young player with all the raw attributes to be a top class defender – and he was nothing short of outstanding on Saturday.

The main man however, was Robin Van Persie (RVP) who bagged a hat-trick, taking him to 28 goals in 27 league games in 2011. Phenomenal. Fingers crossed he can stay away from knocks and that he signs a new long-term deal with the club.

This week sees us battle it out against Marseille in the Champions League and then back to the Premier League on Saturday with the visit of West Brom. Personally, I would rest RVP and give Park a go in Europe and I think we can win both of these games.

And finally, two things:

1. I will never stop laughing at the sight of John Terry being left on his knees chewing grass like a donkey.

  

2. The walk from the stadium all the way home was one of the most satisfying walks of my life. Head high, chest out and cannon showing (err, once I’d got to the station anyway). Untouchable.

Much love x