Saturday 3 September 2011

In the Mik of time...

Wow. What an incredible few days for Arsenal Football Club.

It all started in Udine, a battling performance against the second oldest club in Serie A, Udinese Calcio. With Champions League football at stake it was a must-win game. Following the home defeat against Liverpool, Gooners (including myself) were not overly optimistic so the hard-fought victory was very welcome as it marks the end of a month of unrelenting negativity around the club. May I take this opportunity to thank Wojciech Szczesny for a legendary penalty save and the Hussons for hosting us – feasting on the colonel’s finest and cheering on the boys like a family is how it should be. And sorry Mrs H for ruining your toilet.

So, our seat at Europe’s top table has been booked for the fifteenth year running. Quite incredible, particularly as only Barcelona and Manchester United can boast the same feat. The draw will see us host German champions, Borussia Dortmund, French runners-up, Olympique de Marseille, and Greek champions, Olympiacos. Very exciting.

In typical Arsenal fashion, the season then took an almighty turn into darkness. From the highs of securing football with Europe’s elite, to the lows of being destroyed by Manchester United at Old Trafford.


Off we set, up the M1. ‘We’, being the usual suspects; Yeamilson, Dimi and FK along with a great friend, Jimbo, who is one of very few humble United fans – but then again, I am his boss. The M1 was glittered with red scarves hanging out windows and people dressed in red all heading to Manchester. Such a beautiful sight until you realise they’re ALL United fans. No wonder M&S are increasing their presence at service stations – sales of prawn sandwiches have gone through the roof.

I’ve been to Old Trafford several times. Historically, I’ve normally been quietly confident and always full of hope but on this occasion, I felt the writing was on the wall. Our lack of transfer activity during the summer coupled with several injuries and suspensions to key players meant fielding a weakened eleven. Upon hearing the line-ups, our predictions were as follows.. Dimi, possibly the most optimistic Gooner I know had us down to lose 2-1, Yeamilson 3-0 Utd and me, 4-0 Utd. Jimbo says he never makes predictions but headed off to the Stretford End after smugly telling us ‘it was the best possible time to play Arsenal’. Needless to say, he was very confident and we were bricking it.

The game was incredible, almost surreal. We were pummelled and the huge gaps in our squad had been brutally exposed. Despite an abject defensive performance, huge credit must go to our opponents, they smelt blood and ruthlessly ripped us apart. We just couldn’t cope. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Wayne Rooney is an incredible team player. His movement on and off the ball, his unbelievable work-rate is an inspiration to all – characters like this drive the team on and how we lack someone of his calibre.

The vocal support from my fellow Emirati was quite exceptional. The chants of ‘I love you Arsenal’ became louder and louder after every goal conceded. It was one of the most remarkable things I’ve experienced inside a football stadium. We sang our hearts out. I think enough has been said about the performance and result - journalists and pundits have taken this opportunity to really lay into us, as have so many non-Arsenal fans. It hurts. However, my message to those, particularly the latter, if you can give it… be prepared to take it, because we will be back.

The club has offered to reward all those who travelled with a free away-ticket later in the season. A kind gesture but I’d much rather the money is used to purchase new players! I hear Spurs are putting their entire squad up for sale as well as their Championship-class ground to compensate their fans for the past 50 years of failure.

Speaking of new players, Wednesday was transfer deadline day. In recent years, such days have filled us with envy. This time, it was all about Arsenal. I can’t remember a day like it. Why the club left its business so late is beyond me but there was a desperate need to add to our squad. I would have liked a left-back, a centre-back (preferably Gary Cahill), an attacking midfielder and the icing on top being a centre-forward.


As it happens, Arsene has done exactly that, just not with players I had in mind or would have liked. I’m most excited by the signing of Mikel Arteta. Those of you who know me will know that I have fantasized about having him in our team for several years. Kudos to Joe Husson for tipping us off about this deal well before it happened. Mikel will be our new no. 8 and let’s hope he can overcome injury to rescue us.


People say Arsene has panic bought – it certainly feels like it, but knowing that our scouts have watched players like Scott Dann over 50 times, proves to me that those who have come in won’t be impromptu purchases. The signing of Park Chu Young strikes me as an odd one though, does it have anything to do with the tour of Korea the club has planned for next summer? Let’s not forget the fact that he will be summoned for national service in two years’ time! Smells of a commercial ploy to me.

The international break is, as usual, not welcome and a complete waste of time. Roll on the 10th, Swansea are in for a thorough examination - I can imagine Tommy V and Per (The BFG – Big Fucking German) Mertesacker licking their lips in eager anticipation.